So this weekend has been about realizations.
The first one was over the definition of being an "at home" vegetarian. Hubs and I were out and about and on the drive home talked about what to do for lunch. We had decided to not impose our new meat-free eating on dinning-out (or at relatives houses and such), but we had to hash out the semantics of "take out". Hubs wanted Haka and so justified it (everything we love has meat in it) because it was bought at a restaurant. My, ehem, winning argument was that because the Haka place was only takeout we would have to take it home and thus it wouldn't work with our new rules. I did compromise by saying we could go to a random park or something to eat the food, but Mr. Hermit declined.
The other realizations this weekend mostly came around tonight's dinner. Being father's day I wanted to make Hub's favorite foods, but opted out of the chicken wings part and made him Rasam, a South Indian "soup" I prefer to call "fire water", one of my new vegetarian fall backs. The problem was what to serve with it other than rice. We went with okra as our side and Hubs also added spicy pickle to his fire water. Two hours later, I have now realize while being tasty, it really wasn't enough to keep my tummy full. This also made me realize that one can of black beans, and one can of chickpeas, really isn't enough to sustain 2 - 1/2 people for a week of meat-free eating.
| Okra and Rice with Rasam |
Perhaps I should have made some lentils as well, but when I made them this week the pressure cooker blew up cascading boiling hot lentil water all down the stove and under the elements and blew out the pilot light on the burners, so I was a little hesitant.
Oh, and I also realized that I surprisingly don't really miss meat, which I am sure would soon change if you set me down at a BBQ, but right at this moment I don't miss it...
No comments:
Post a Comment